Luscious Lace Crochet Blanket Pattern
For a crochet project full of texture, this lace crochet afghan pattern is a great free option!
You've probably admired gorgeous lace afghans in other people's homes but now it's your turn to captivate your guests with the Luscious Lace Crochet Blanket.
This crochet lace afghan pattern is a free design made up of the fan shell stitch, shell stitch, picot stitch, and the large shell stitch. It's an easy crochet pattern despite the fact that there are so many special crochet stitches.
You'll definitely be in love with the afghan that comes out of this pattern; we know we are! Work it up before the holidays to have a blanket everyone will want to curl up in by the fire. Plus, since it's exclusive to AllFreeCrochet, you won't find any other like it elsewhere.
Sign Up For More Free Patterns >>
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge4 rows 3
Shell, Picot 2
Finished Size46 in. x 56 in.
- RED HEART Classic: 9 skeins 0281 Maize (or equivalent yarn)
- Crochet Hook: 5.0 mm (US H-8) crochet hook or size needed for gauge
BONUS! How to Crochet a Picot Stitch
- Fan Shell – [(dc, ch 1) 5 times, dc] in stitch or space as indicated.
- Picot – (sc, ch 3, sc) in stitch or space as indicated. Need a refresher? Watch the video right above to learn How to Crochet a Picot Stitch.
- Shell – (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in stitch or space as indicated.
- Large Shell (LgSh) – (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in stitch or space as indicated.
Luscious Lace Crochet Blanket Pattern:
Afghan is crocheted in multiples of 9 plus 3.
Click on any image to enlarge.
- Row 1 (RS): Ch 138, sc in 2nd ch from hook, ch 3, sc in next ch, *skip 3 chs, Fan Shell in next ch, skip 3 chs, sc in next ch, ch 3, sc in next ch, repeat from * across, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in ch 3 space, ch 2, skip 2 ch 1 spaces, Picot in next ch 1 space, ch 2, *skip 2 ch 1 spaces, Shell in next ch 3 space, ch 2, skip 2 ch 1 spaces, Picot in next ch 1 space, ch 2, repeat from * across to last 3 spaces, skip 2 ch 1 spaces, 2 dc in last ch 3 space, dc in last sc, turn.
- Row 3: Ch 1, Picot in first dc, skip ch 2 space, Fan Shell in ch 3 space of Picot, *skip ch 2 space, Picot in ch 2 space of Shell, skip ch 2 space, Fan Shell in ch 3 space of Picot, repeat from * across to last ch 2 space, skip last ch 2 space and 2 dc, Picot in last dc, turn.
- Continue pattern repeating Rows 2 and 3 for a total of 77 rows, fasten off and do not turn.
- With right side facing work along top edge LgSh in right corner ch 3 space, *skip 1 ch 1 space of Fan Shell, sc in next ch 1 space, ch 3, (sc, ch 4, sc) in next ch 1 space, ch 3, sc in next ch 1 space,
- LgSh in ch 3 space of Picot, repeat from * across ending LgSh in last ch 3 space.
- Work along side edge (sc, ch 4, sc) in first side dc space, *LgSh in next dc space, (sc, ch 4, sc) in next dc space, repeat from * across.
- Work along bottom edge LgSh in first ch 3 corner space, *(sc, ch 3, sc, ch 4, sc, ch 3, sc) in ch space below Fan Shell, LgSh in ch 3 space, repeat from * across ending LgSh in last corner ch 3 space.
- Work along side edge as for opposite side edge matching stitches ending join to beginning dc and fasten off.
Looking for more crochet afghan and blanket patterns? Check out the lists below: