Cozy Cowl Poncho (Free Crochet Pattern)
You're going to love this wonderfully comfy cowl neck poncho crochet pattern free from Lion Brand!
Stay warm and toasty this winter with this Cozy Cowl Poncho. Use Lion Brand variegated yarn to work up this easy crochet poncho pattern - choose your shade and work up your own work of art that weaves in and out of various color hues.
The cowl neckline makes this one of the most trendy crochet poncho patterns ever and will definitely keep you cozy without sacrificing a bit of style this season.
Bulky yarn makes this a quick crochet pattern to work up. This crochet poncho pattern is available in one size only and measures about 22 inches by 25 inches.
For more free crochet patterns, sign up for our Hooked on Crochet newsletter!
Crochet HookP/16 or 11.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
Crochet Gauge5 hdc = about 4 in. (10 cm)
Finished SizeOne Size; About 22 x 25 in. (56 x 63.5 cm), after folding
- Lion Brand Homespun Thick and Quick Yarn: Greystone Stripes, 3 Balls
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size P/16 or 11.5 mm hook
- Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
- Assembly Diagram (click to download)
See the best types of cushy yarn to use for your poncho in this informative video! Learn more about yarn with our page, Types of Yarn and Yarn Weights.
How to Make a Cozy Cowl Poncho
- BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
- Click any image to enlarge.
Crochet Cowl Neck Poncho Pattern - PONCHO:
Download and review the assembly diagram.
Row 1: Hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across - 28 sts.
Row 2: Ch 2 (does not count as a st), turn, hdc in each st across. Rep Row 2 until piece measures about 50 in/ (127 cm) from beg. Fasten off.
Fold piece in half lengthwise, bringing first row to meet last row. The folded piece should measure about 22 x 25 in./ (56 x 63.5 cm). Beg at a corner and following diagram (shown above), sl st side edges together for 13 in. (33 cm), leaving 12 in./(30.5 cm) open for neck. Do not fasten off, but continue on for cowl neck.
Crochet Cowl Neck Poncho Pattern - COWL NECK:
Rnd 1 (Right Side): Continuing with same strand of yarn, ch 2, work 30 hdc evenly spaced around neck opening; join with sl st in top of beg ch.
Rnd 2: Ch 2, hdc in each st around; join with sl st in top of beg ch.
Rep Rnd 2 until cowl measures about 8 in. (20.5 cm).
Last Rnd: Ch 1, sc in each st around; join with sl st in first sc.
Weave in ends.
- half double crochet
- sl st
- slip stitch
- single crochet
10 Cozy Crochet Poncho Patterns free eBook >>>
What season do you wear ponchos the most?